MASONS (Ashworth Bros) Chinese Peony Plate
Hand painted over print
Approx. 23 centimetres in diameter
Age crazing, otherwise PERFECT CONDITION
Plate Stand NOT INCLUDED.
1796 - Because the Minerva Works was controlled by the Mason family, the factory soon became known as "Masons." Miles Mason's earliest productions were simply marked with the back stamp "M Mason" and were heavily influenced by the Oriental porcelain. In 1813, Charles James Mason, of Lane Delph in Staffordshire, introduced "Patent Ironstone China." Mason used a mixture of Cornwall clay, ironstone slag, flint and blue oxide of cobalt to produce a hard, opaque, bluish white pottery that had a smooth, glossy finish after glazing and firing.
Today, ironstone is admired and collected for its intrinsic beauty as well as its practicality. Tables are set with gleaming white ironstone, and magazines feature homes with prominent displays of the ceramic ware that was once considered "common". Although "fine china" was thought to be more desirable, the sturdy and less expensive ironstone was favoured for "everyday" use.
View pictures for more detail